Sunday, January 22, 2012

showstoppin' guac

my husband looooves guacamole.  we can go through phases in this house where we eat guac by the bowl-full.

where we live, there are a few ways to get great guac: you can buy freshly-made, really good guac at a local grocery store for $9.99 a pound (YIKES)...  pay a hefty amount for some of Chipotle's awesome guac... OR you can make it yourself-- for WAY cheaper.  Obviously, you know what I opt to do! = the homemade route! :)

here are the ingredients needed for show-stoppin guac. in all of my experimenting, i've used a huuuuge spectrum of different types of tomatoes, onions, etc.. {one time, i even tried the "Florida avocados" you can sometimes find at the grocery store-- they are usually bigger than Hass ones and instead of the bumpy, dark skin, they have a shiny, green skin} ... **but** the list below are my *fave* ingredients which, after alllll my trial runs, these (in my opinion) are the best for making the most legit guac this side of the border.

 
ingredients:
{and remember, type matters!}
  • Hass avocados
  • Roma/Plum tomatoes
  • Red onion
  • Fresh jalapeno (if desired for spiciness; in my opinion, this is 1 thing you can leave out)
  • fresh garlic cloves
  • Lime juice/and or zest
  • Fresh cilantro leaves
  • Salt
  • Black pepper
example amounts I used from one little batch I just made:
2 Hass avocados {for an instructional video on how to cut an avocado, here's a great & quick one!)
1/2 fresh Roma tomato, diced (it was pretty big, if it was smaller, I probably would have used the whole thing)
1 Tbsp. (?) Red onion
1 garlic clove, finely minced
2-3 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro leaves
a few squeezes of lime juice (maybe 1 tsp?)
several pinches of salt
a few cranks from the pepper grinder
*i left out the jalapeno today; i had a weird stomachache last night and didn't wanna add any spicy to my life today :)..... but if you want some, obviously just chop finely, remove the seeds, and add what you want

fiddle with the amounts, and enjoy this DELISH combo of ingredients to make the PERRRRFECT, show-stoppin' guac!!!! :)

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE guac and your recipe has all the ingredients that I put in mine! So good!!

    ReplyDelete